In this article from mid-2014, Aaron Epp writes about a Batswana couple that wanted to start a peace centre and did so by travelling to the Canadian School of Peacekeeping. Read about the difference they are making in lives of troubled youth, and don’t forget to leave a comment below and share this article with fellow missional entrepreneurs.
The American Sociological Association recently reported that about 20% of U.S. adults are deeply religious, know a lot about science, and support many practical uses of science and technology in everyday life, but reject scientific explanations of evolution and the beginning of life (you can read more about the research they were reviewing here.)
Their report seems to suggest that Christians are ignoring science on these matters. Interesting, given that David Berlinski makes the same argument about Naturalists in his book “The Devil’s Delusion: Atheism and It’s Scientific Pretensions”. There agnostic David Berlinski writes the following:
- Has anyone provided a proof of God’s inexistence? Not even close.
- Has quantum cosmology explained the emergence of the universe or why it is here? Not even close.
- Have the sciences explained why our universe seems to be fine-tuned to allow for the existence of life? Not even close.
- Are physicists and biologists willing to believe in anything so long as it is not religious thought? Close enough.
- Is there a narrow and oppressive orthodoxy of thought and opinion within the sciences? Close enough.
- Is scientific atheism a frivolous exercise in intellectual contempt? Dead on.
Part of David Berlinski’s seemingly irritation with many of his colleagues is their bent to rule out the possibility of a God. As an agnostic himself, he does not argue for the existence of God, but sees no reason to rule this possibility out and supports much of the science that would point to a Creator. He has many reasons to hold this view.
An emerging scientific theory called Intelligent Design – the theory that an intelligent cause offers the best explanation for the universe, is an alternative to evolution and provides a theory on the question evolution has not been able to answer: the beginning of life. Scientists such as Dr. Stephen Meyers, author of “Signature in the Cell” and “Darwin’s Doubt”; and Dr. William Behe, author of “Darwin’s Black Box” are two of the leading proponents of this theory.
Here are a number of scientific reasons that point to Intelligent Design, and a Creator:
1. In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. There was a beginning. There was a “big bang”. Interestingly, until the1920’s, scientists believed the universe was eternal – that it always was. Thousands of years before this, the Bible told us there was a beginning; then Dr. Hubble proved it by studying the universe. When Einstein realized Hubble was right, he called his own belief, that the universe was eternal, the biggest blunder of his career. The math had told Einstein there was a beginning, but he simply could not believe this until Hubble proved the universe is expanding, therefore, there was a beginning.
For more on this, check out: Hubble vs. Einstein and the Size and Expansion of the Universe
2. The fine-tuning of the universe perplexes some scientists. There are roughly forty constants that define the physics of the universe. If ANY one of these were changed slightly (as in one part in 10 to the 50th power) life on earth could not exist! There are evolutionists who have become theists because they believed that with such fine-tuning required for life, “obviously, the universe was designed”. For more on this, check out:
For more on this, check out: Atheists Humbled by Order in Universe
3. The information in DNA is 3.4 billion lines of code. Scientists today are also troubled by how 3.4 billion lines of code are in each DNA strand. How could such precise information necessary to build and/or repair a cell just come together through evolution? Dr. Stephen Meyer has written on the subject of “intelligent design” in the cell, in his book “The Signature Within The Cell“.
For more on this, check out: Signature within the cell.
4. Scientists are discovering “irreducible complexity” within proteins. Dr. William Behe, a former atheist, became a Christian when he discovered, via electron microscopes, the irreducible complexity within proteins. He recently authored a book entitled “Darwin’s Black Box“. Darwin knew that if in the future someone could prove that the cell is not simple but rather incredibly complex, his own theory falls apart. He actually stated this in his famous book “The Origin of Species”. Dr. Behe argues that in fact the cell is not only complex, it is irreducibly complex, that is, the molecular machinery within a cell could not exist in a simpler form.
For more on this, check out: Michael Behe — Molecular Machines Disprove Evolution
5. The Cambrian Explosion. The fossil records confuse the neo-Darwinians. Instead of seeing a progressively more complex fossil record (what you would expect if evolution were true), all life forms exploded into their fossil records during the Cambrian period, and have not changed further. This is referred to as “The Fossil Record’s Big Bang”.
For more on this, check out: What Types of Evolution Does the Cambrian Explosion Challenge?
It appears that the beliefs of Naturalists seem to take more faith than what is required to believe in a Creator.
— composed by Russell Espinosa, M.Sc. Engineering
Nancy Writebol, a Christian nursing assistant with SIM, was in Liberia to help deal with an Ebola outbreak when she caught the disease herself. In this article by Renee Joette Friesen, read about how Nancy’s faith was strengthened by her encounter with Ebola and the inspirational story of her survival.
After being asked by his friend to comment on Matthew 5:38-48, read what Ken Godevenos has to say about pacifist Christians based on the New Testament scriptures in this article here.
Also, MissionsVault.org is now accepting content from its readers! Click the “Submit Your Content” link at the top of the page or email Jake with your submission.
A South Korean pastor has places a baby drop box at his church to help save young children being left to die in the streets. Lewis Green writes about the documentary being made about this pastor in this article from ChristianWeek.com.
Do you enjoy reading about missions on Missions Vault? Consider leaving us a comment below!
Should charities play on donor emotions to pull in more funding? Catherine Porter criticizes big charities for their marketing strategies in this article from December.
Do you have any opinions on this question? Leave a comment below!
In this article, Dan Pallotta talks about how measuring the efficiency of charitable organizations by their overhead costs isn’t the most accurate way to rank the impact they have.
What do you think of this article? Leave a comment below and let us know.